8.3.11

Standpoint


Untitled from Hestia Peppe on Vimeo.


I made a video before coming to work on Art In Motion.  Like the story I posted the other day it functions as some kind of reference point to articulate where I'm coming from and what I bring with me to the work.  My video practice has hitherto been consistently recognisable as an attempt to situate myself, an interplay of objects placed in relation to eachother and the movement of my attention from one to another.

A recent chance encounter with the work of Kay Turner and her book Beautiful Necessity which surveys the tradition of domestic altar making and its aesthetic power for navigating change and continuity drew attention for me to these ideas in my own work.  This video is a sketch in which I consider this consciously for the first time.  For me it is interesting to play with juxtaposition as a way to map relations between objects which may in turn speak of relations between people, meanings and value.

As far as this relates to Art In Motion I am considering this as a strategy of mapping connections within a collaborative process that allows for intimacy and free association and may reveal parts of the process that would otherwise be hidden from the viewer.  In the rehearsal on Sunday I began to work with objects belonging to the participants and with footage from group discussions, searching for layers of the work which may not be visible in the dance and which video might amplify.


No comments: