4.3.11

Art In Motion

I went to my first rehearsal for Art In Motion last night.  They have been at it for a while already so I arrive in the full flow of what they have going on.  Before this I have received fragments of documentation, some video, notes on discussions, themes, methods, names and faces are not yet connected and I was nervous going in.  Choreography is a fascinating but foreign process to me, I have come from far away to do this work and I am struck with what might be suddenly at stake.  Beginning with a risk.  This is the lack of proximity at work, I'm transitioning into the locus of the work, becoming close, the contact implicit in working with others is a shock.

From the proposal I wrote toward my part in the project.

For three weeks Hestia Peppe will be present in the role of Artist In Residence with Insurgo Stage Project during development of their group improvised work Art In Motion.  During the part of the development when she is not present she will continue to create work as part of the ongoing collaboration.  This offers the opportunity to consider collaborative methodologies utilising both presence and telepresence and the role of the technologies of telepresence (video calling, email, social media, digital filesharing) in a creative process of this type.

The first piece they worked with yesterday is called 'Pressure', enough said it was spookily appropriate to my mental state.  Seated quietly taking notes I began to gain context, to situate myself.  Later, debriefing the rehearsal into the night I am seized with exhilaration as connections solidify and adrenalin kicks in.  I'm excited now.

The group were incredibly welcoming, names firmly transform into specific faces and later Avianna's insistence that the performers, onstage are specifically themselves, not characters somehow completes my sense that I am in the right place.  This thing is collectively autobiographical.  Individual's stories colliding with eachother.  This is what I wanted and needed.  Avi and I worked on performances together as teenagers in what seems like another world but the old alliance is strong and there is richness in it.

There is so much more to tell! Since I got here I've been orientating myself and as always the rush of over stimulation  needs to be ridden out.  The place and the people are starting to make sense of themselves and I'm so glad I'm doing this. 

street art in Jersey City, photo by yours truly.




No comments: